Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kombucha Fermented Beer Experiment

When I brewed my sour red ale, I had a little more liquid left over in my mash tun than I normally do.  Rather than simply dumping this water down the drain, I thought it would be interesting to drain it into a gallon jug, add some left over Kombucha dregs I had saved (I had big plans of starting my own mother culture but never got around to it), pop an airlock on it, and let it ferment like a normal beer.  Normally Kombucha is fermented aerobically, which results in the production of acetic acid, and provides the majority of the tartness in Kombucha.  I figured if I didn't allow all this oxygen to get in, I would cut back on the acetic acid production and allow the lactobacillus (and whatever other bacteria is in the culture) to create more of a lactic sourness that is associated with sour beer.

So I drained about a half a gallon of the final runnings of my mash tun, added about 3 Hersbucker hop pellets and boiled it for about 15 minutes to sterilize the wort.  After that I cooled it to about 75F and dumped in the dregs of a bottle of GT's Kombucha.  A couple days later there was a krausen and it seemed to ferment quite traditionally.

After about 3 weeks in the gallon jug, I have enough beer for bottle six 12 oz. bottles with about 25g of table sugar and 2g of Safale US-05 at bottling to ensure carbonation and left the bottles at ambient temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment